When going through the checklist of equipment for youth hockey, one of the first things that comes to mind is a decent stick (along with the perfect pair of skates, of course!). Because the various brands are always busy trying to come up with the latest and greatest, young players have a lot of options to choose from. There are a couple of things to take into consideration however, when choosing a stick. Right off the bat, you’ll need to choose left, or right (left or right handed). As far as length, the stick should come to about their chin, when standing on tippy toes. Also the “flex” comes into play. For younger kids, go with a lower flex number, while older kids can go higher. One tip is to keep the flex number close to the child’s body weight in order to to get the maximum benefit. Now that you’re ready to tape it up and get them out on the ice, take a look at some of our favorite twigs below.
1. Warrior Alpha QX Clear Tyke Hockey Stick – Check It Out Here
Made of lightweight flat carbon-composite, this stick is light and strong.
2. Easton Synergy GX Grip Youth Hockey Stick – 30 Flex – Check It Out Here
A great entry level stick, for a smaller hockey player – and at a great price point.
3. Bauer Vapor 1X Lite Griptac Youth Hockey Stick – Check It Out Here
Using ACL (Advanced Carbon Layering) blade technology, this newer model is a lighter, stronger, and more responsive stick – designed for a quick release off the blade.
4. CCM RibCor 64K Grip Junior Hockey Stick – Check It Out Here
Easy to load, for a quick release – with great all around stiffness and strength.
5. True A4.5 SBP Matte Grip Junior Hockey Stick – Check It Out Here
This stick features a carbon fiber core, wrapped in fiber glass – and has a graduated mid-flex profile for increased performance.
6. Bauer Nexus 1N Youth Hockey Stick – Check It Out Here
One of their most popular models, this is designed using “Sweet Spot Technology”, an enlarged mid kick zone that allows for more efficient loading and energy transfer in your shot.
7. CCM Premier R1.9 Jr. Goalie Stick – Check It Out Here
This goalie stick was designed to reduce vibration in the hand and stick. Less vibrations equals better puck feel.